Portable Solar Generator – why you need it?
Portable solar generator, why you need it?
Portable solar generators are needed because of their many uses. Also with the advancement of the solar PV technology, a portable solar generator has the potential to power homes, businesses and can be a source of portable power for laptops, RVs, off-grid power systems, entertainment (radio and TV), cellphones, cabins or for recreational purposes like camping facilities.
Uses of Portable Solar Power
The typical solar power system consists of stationary solar panels that are placed in your rooftop to harvest, store and power your home or business with solar electricity, but when it comes to portable solar power, it is a different form of solar energy because you can carry solar anywhere you go including remote parts of the country that are remote or away from the main grid.
With a portable solar panel, you can collect, store and power your gadgets or electronics such as cellphones, laptops or even your camp site using portable solar power generated from a solar powered generator or a solar generator.
There are various forms of solar generators in the market that can produce carbon free solar power for your lights, refrigeration, cellphone, radio and TV, laptops and home alarm systems. Solar generators require minimal maintenance and can be moved or transported to desired locations that are remote or with no natural grid. Usually, ordinary solar generators have a capability of producing solar power of over 1kW output.
Solar generators are easy to move around and some may have wheels while others can be folded like a briefcase providing more flexibility for portability or carrying around. These generators can weigh over 100lbs, for example the Goal Zero Yeti 1250 Portable Power Station Kit weigh about 116 lbs (52.6 kg).
Also solar generators are silent and do not produce any noise like most power generators or fumes while running and thus they are eco-friendly because they are not reliant on fossil fuels or electricity.
Below are some examples of solar generators:
- Multipurpose solar generators used in homes and cabins to power home equipment such as television, radio, refrigerator, charging cellphones etc. Such generators can have a capacity of 1.8kW and above.
- Solar generators for homes are good for homes that experience power outages or for cabins that may be off-grid or away from the power grid.
- Just like a normal solar power system, these type of solar generators will come with an inverter, charge controller, batteries and cabling that can also be used during emergency power outages or for homes that are not connected to the main grid. These solar generator systems can also be upgraded to meet increasing energy requirements if need be and hence it is possible to increase power output capacities, by just increasing the solar panels or batteries needed to power up your system.
- One example of the solar generator that fits home, cabin or off-grid applications including when there are power outages or a perfect power solution for remote cabins, lodges or an emergency power back up system include the 1800 Watt Solar Generator – Solar Generator for Home, Office, Remote Cabins & More.
- As of February 2017, this type of solar generator for home cost about $1,800.This solar generator has a 1.8kW capacity Inverter with four 115VAC power outlets for operating various gadgets at the same time. This system is can be customized to fit your energy requirements.
- Hybrid solar power generator: this type of solar powered generator combines other forms of renewable energy like wind to provide a power back up during power outages. It is also ideal for residential, wind generator kit that features a wind turbine to complement the solar generator, especially at night times when solar panels are not generating any power.
- One example of such a hybrid solar powered generator that uses a wind turbine include the Earthtech Products 1800 Watt Wind Generator Kit with Primus Air 40 Wind Turbine for Homes, RV’s and Remote Locations. It is ideal RV’s and remote locations or as a residential wind generator kit that features the Primus Air 40 Wind Turbine.