Switching to solar
The abbreviation ‘PV’ stands for photovoltaic. Photovoltaic cells are composed of semiconductor materials. When they make contact with sunlight, the light excites electrons, which leads to the generation of electricity.
A photovoltaic solar panel is made up of integrated components called solar cells, which fall into the categories of first, second, and third-generation solar cells. When people go solar, they will often get these solar panels added to their homes.
1. First-generation solar cells are the traditional and widely commercially used photovoltaic cells. Also known as wafer-based cells They are composed of crystalline silicon, including polysilicon and monocrystalline silicon.
2. Thin-film solar cells fall into the second generation category, and they include amorphous silicon, CdTe, and CIGS cells. Less used in residential solar panels. For the most part, thin-film solar cells are in building utility-scale PV solar power stations. Thin-film solar cells are integrated PV systems or more minor stand-alone solar power systems.
3. Third-generation PV solar cells are not yet commercially available for public use. Most of them are still under R&D. The goal of the research is to decrease PV costs while maximizing the efficiency of solar cells. Researchers and engineers are trying to incorporate organic materials, including organometallic compounds, in addition to inorganic materials. The goal is to reach higher efficiency and lowered PV costs. As a result of this research, solar generators might become more effective in the future.
Applications of Solar PV
The solar PV technology has a multitude of different forms, such as:
1. Solar battery chargers:
- A lot of solar battery chargers can be tremendously useful even when they are small. Solar panels that are only capable of producing as little as 4 watts of power are still valuable. They can charge batteries with no load, including smartphone and cell phone batteries.
- If the solar panels can produce 5 to 10 watts, they can charge battery starting systems and various types of industrial equipment. Solar panels that can generate 11 watts and above can power recreational vehicles (RV), as well as remote battery bank systems.
- A 12 V solar kits can offer power on the go, including solar panels and small solar battery chargers that will create efficient, convenient, affordable, and reusable power. Solar energy can also charge portable heaters, laptops, and smartphones while providing off-grid lighting.
- Solar battery chargers are great for camping trips and other forms of travel. They can also help people who are working away from a power outlet. Also useful for people doing landscaping work or gardening. The Solar Battery Trickle Charger- 7 Watts- Amorphous Solar Panels is an excellent example of a product like this that people can order today. It’s excellent for outdoor vacations and adventures. People can also use it for their RVs and boats. As long as the applications don’t require more than 12V at a time, it should be all work. All solar chargers can be beneficial to a wide range of different individuals.
- Some people who rely on technology to work will find it easier to continue with whatever they’re doing if they have solar battery chargers available to them.
- In this blog, you find solar charger reviews to help you choose the best solar chargers depending on your specific requirements.
2. Solar Panels
- Solar modules or solar panels are more or less the same types of products. With many people trying to go solar, there are lots of solar panel reviews available today.
- A solar panel or module is a single photovoltaic panel composed of integrated solar cells. The solar cells are connected throughout a solar panel in parallel to increase the current. When engineers try to increase the voltage, the cells are in a series.
- Commercially-available solar modules and panels are made with 32 to 48 individual solar cells in a series, thus giving the solar panel the capability of charging a 12V DC battery.
- Solar panels in grid-connected PV systems are for powering businesses, solar pumps, utility-scale power plant products, solar PV irrigation, and in new mini and micro-grids. People will ask: are solar panels worth it? The answer is a resounding: yes.
- In this blog, you will find solar panels reviews and guides to help you choose the best solar panels depending on your specific requirements.
- You can also find a solar panel calculator to help understand your solar panel costs, solar panel sizing (how many solar panels do I need) as well as your expected savings when you decide to go solar. We have also partnered with the EnergySage online solar marketplace to help you with your decision to go solar. By using the EnergySage solar online market, your decision to go solar is supposed to be easy, faster, convenient, and you can save between $3,000 to $5,000 when you decide to go solar. Learn more about the EnergySage Solar Online Marketplace by clicking here.
- All solar generators more or less work in the manner of conventional portable generators, except they have the technology to harvest energy from the sun to produce large quantities of solar power. Some of them have a significant output. There are solar generators capable of generating 2500 watts. Such solar panels can meet a wide range of different household needs, and it’s hugely helpful for all travelers.
- People who rely on solar panels for all of their power needs will be able to benefit from solar generators in case they have a power outage. Solar generators can help people compensate for some of the daily fluctuations in the availability of sunlight as well since they can store solar energy effectively.
- Individuals who do not have solar panels but who still want to use solar power at different points can split the difference by choosing solar generators. Such solar power will allow them to gain something of a backup power source. During a power outage in which their traditional electricity fails them, they can use the solar power that they generated using their solar generators instead. As long as people keep these generators out in the sun charging, this will allow them to continue to use power during some of the most challenging seasons.
- In this blog, you find solar generator reviews and guides to help you choose the best solar chargers depending on your specific requirements.
4. Solar Lighting
- Different lights will be charged using solar power. Some people will set these lights along their walkways outside. They will charge during the day, and they will be capable of lighting the way at night.
- Some of the new light displays that people will use will integrate solar lighting. Such solar lighting will allow people to use holiday lights without having to worry about all of the oil that they are using in the process.
- The solar lighting will tend to last, and it can produce a great deal of illumination even though the lights are often small.
5. Solar Powered Water Pump
- A solar-powered water pump is just like any other conventional electric pump with the exception that it is powered using solar photovoltaic (PV) technology instead of fossil fuels or electricity to pump water at a certain height or to a certain distance.
- Since it is solar PV powered, depending on the size of the pump, it comes with one or more solar panels (solar photovoltaic modules) as a source of its power and when sunlight falls on these solar panels — to produce a direct current (DC) which is transferred through electrons to the motor to pump out the water. If AC is optimum, the DC from the solar panels can be connected to an inverter to produce alternating current (AC).
- A solar-powered water pump is for various uses, but the primary purpose of a solar water pump is to extract water from ponds, rivers, bore wells or other sources of water for multiple applications, including, but not limited to:
- Drinking water
- Livestock use
- Responsible leisure
- Industrial use etc
- Solar water pumps have various advantages over conventional electric pumps, including but not limited to:
- Solar water pumps do not incur recurring costs, because they do not incur electricity or diesel costs
- Solar-powered water pumps are also for off-grid areas or places where it is challenging to procure diesel fuel.
- A solar-powered water pump is easy to use technology without so many moving parts, which means it has low maintenance costs.
- It is easy to operate
- It is not affected by power outages and hence can last longer as its motor is not affected by power fluctuations.
- In this blog, you will find solar water pump guides and reviews to help you find the best solar-powered water pump depending on your specific solar pump requirements.